This is one of my favorite desserts:
For the blackberries:
Mix in a heavy pan or dutch oven and bring to boil:
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sprinkling of salt to taste
- orange or lemon extract (several drops)
For the dumplings:
- 2/3 cup Bisquick (or whatever brand of biscuit/pancake mix stuff)
- 1 tsp sugar
- REAL grated nutmeg 1/8 tsp or so…I don’t measure. REAL means get an actual nutmeg and grate it.
- Quickly stir in 3 TB milk (or so) to dumpling or wet biscuit dough consistency.
- Drop by teaspoonful into the bubbling blackberry mix.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the dumplings are done (when you stick in a toothpick and it comes out clean.)
Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Oh my goodness, it’s good.
The above is enough for two generous servings.