Summer Day in St. Louis

We dropped D16 off for his day of rollercoasters and such at Six Flags, and then we went on to our own more sedate adventures. Our plan was to visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens in the morning and the St. Louis Art Museum in the afternoon. There was also a plan to tour a microbrewery later. We had been trying for a program of no-cost activities but decided to splurge on the botanical garden.

The garden was offering free admission on that particular day! We were inordinately thrilled. It was a blessing.

Now, if you ever have the chance to go there, you must. If I lived in St. Louis, I would get the annual membership and go there as often as I could. Not only is it beautiful, but a gardener could learn so much by observing and also by talking to the master gardeners there. Note to self: wear walking shoes, not sandals, next time. We were worn out long before we saw everything. But we saw two lovely rose gardens, the daylily garden, the hosta garden, the tropical rainforest, the sculpture hall and the home gardeners’ area (in part). It was great to see, “in person” many more rose varieties that I have read about. The hybrid tea rose that most caught my attention was “Distant Drums”–the mauve/peach mix and the lotus-like flower form was amazing. It appears to be quite a heavy bloomer, too.

There was a rosarian tending the roses and I asked her what they do for Japanese beetles. (They put out milky spore about three years ago and they feel it is having a good effect; they do some spraying of Azetrol (or something like that?–I can’t find the paper I jotted it down on) and they pick them off by hand in the morning and evening. She said it’s important to dispose of the bodies off the property…the dead ones send off the pheromones that attract them to your yard, just as do the living ones. At any rate they were not having problems with beetles at that time, she said they had seen a few. In my yard they are still quite a scourge.

We had felafel sandwiches at Cafe Natasha, a Persian restaurant. Then we headed over to the art museum. That was wonderful, too. We both agreed: our favorite paintings, considered as a group, were the Dutch/Flemish ones.

Next, Scott wanted to check out a pipe shop so we drove to the one he located and I went down the street and had a cup of coffee while he poked around. He had brought along some of his pipes in case it was the kind of shop that might stock upper end handmade pipes, but it wasn’t. We crossed the microbrewery off our list of possible activities because of the 4-hour drive home that we would face afterwards. Neither of us had slept well the night before and we figured a beer and a meal there would make us too sleepy to drive home!

Perhaps we can do that on a return visit!

About katiekind

Enjoying the second half of life. I have three sons who are the apples of my eye and a wonderful husband of 35 years--those are the important things. Long ago, out of the blue, I became a Christian. It was something I never planned on, but what joy it has been. I do website development and I like to read and garden and paint and I love beauty and truth.
This entry was posted in Family & Friends. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s